a couple questions for admin

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
boomerang
Jan 15 2015 05:48
See Steven's post #12, he was offered some foie gras at lunch by someone who was eating it. This is a separate incident from the person who gave him a jar of foie gras because s/he was too concerned about the torture to eat it. See the last paragraph of my post #20. EDIT: Forgot to address this last point: "Isn't this the same logic as saying that use of any product communicates loud and clear that you have no problem with the production process behind it?" The hardship faced by workers in production is addressed through class struggle and revolution. We liberate ourselves. Animals can't organize for liberation. Change for them can only happen through changing cultural attitudes about whether it's acceptable to torture them (or take their lives) for food, given there are other food options.
jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 15 2015 07:33
I ate foie gras on New Year's Eve, I don't think I would have had the courage without Steven's example. Once the food has already been made then throwing it out is wasteful, unless you think it is making a point. For example getting rid of an old fur coat, if the animal's been dead 30 years then it doesn't make a bit of diference, unless you think it sets some kind of example. Eating it at home when it was free because someone uncomfortable with eating it gave it to you has no real example. Eating the food offered to him does have a different value, so if he is truly against cruelty then he should have refused and explained why. More importantly where is Steven working that people just hand out free foie gras? HE's a goose liver leftie!
Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jan 15 2015 12:09
Quote:
The difference is Steven is not going to starve if he passes up the foie gras.
So here you're basically acting as judge and jury on whether Steven's desperate enough that it's okay for him to eat something given to him by a friend. To which the obvious response is "who the fuck are you?"
Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jan 15 2015 12:48
Despite the fact that I mistakenly re-opened this particularly emotive can of worms, I refuse to start throwing my opinions around and generally getting involved - I learnt that lesson last time 'round. I would however suggest that we cease tearing our comrades new assholes and save that particular activity for fascists, trots and liberals. Especially liberals.
Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 15 2015 12:55
Only just seen this thread. Boomerang, I often like what you write but on this occasion, you really do need to turn the moralisometer down a notch, ta wink That aside, was the original question answered? I've forgot already.
Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 15 2015 12:57
Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jan 15 2015 13:30
Webby, you are a hero. Well done for admitting it's all your fault.
Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jan 15 2015 13:38
Eh, Boomerang's been around for at least a year, I feel like an occasional sharp word when he's being overly judgy about people's lifestyle choices isn't altogether unwarranted.
Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jan 15 2015 13:54
Rob Ray wrote:
Eh, Boomerang's been around for at least a year, I feel like an occasional sharp word when he's being overly judgy about people's lifestyle choices isn't altogether unwarranted.
If this refers to my post please be assured it wasn't aimed at you but at everyone. This just doesn't seem to be an issue that anyone is prepared to move on. The judgement comes from both sides and continuing serves no purpose. One really good poster deserted Libcom over this issue - it would be a great shame if that happened again. For some reason people start acting out of character when this stuff comes up. To my great shame I attacked another poster and called him a 'cunt'. I don't want to act that way and I see people act in a way they never do on any other threads. I know my own mind on this and don't need to stamp my feet to convince myself. Let's just leave it shall we? Oh, and for the record, I'm such an ignorant dumbass that apart from knowing that it came from geese and that it is eaten by toffs I knew nothing about it. If only I'd said 'truffles' instead none of this would have happened.
Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Jan 15 2015 14:39
Mmm... truffles....
boomerang
Jan 15 2015 15:21
Thank you to Jef Costello's point in #33. I think we can agree, let's give Serge / Homer Simpson the last word on this thread. Serge Forward wrote:
Mmm... truffles....