"Comrade" Vs. "Compernro"

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nate's picture
Nate
Apr 30 2010 21:41

Oi bastards - my fault. Got mixed up. I can't keep people (I use that term in the loosest possible sense) straight unless they're Americans.

I'm still right though, and Caiman, right honorable, I told you to call me sir.

Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 30 2010 22:01
Nate wrote:
I am curious though if people think that there's any valid use of an in-group term in certain contexts for people who share the same beliefs and have relationships. Cuz that's when I use "comrades" - with the people I consider comrades. (Maybe y'all are uncomfortable with the word cuz you don't have any comrades?) The term fits relatively aptly to certain close relationships I have with people who belong to the same organizations or similar ones, who share similar politics, and who have experience working well together on practical projects. "Comrades" is an abbreviation for that, because "you who belong to the same organization as me, who share similar politics, and who have all worked together" is a mouthful.

Hmm, I see what you mean but yeah, for me, I'd say "we're in Solfed together" or "we're both part of the libcom group" or (in the event we're not in the same group) "they've got good politics" or "they're good people". I guess it's coz for me I like to be able to use as similar language as possible when I'm talking to politicos as when I'm talking to non-politicos; like with you, it's not some massive principle for me but it's just something that's never come naturally to me..

Nate wrote:
The rest of us have to make do with imperfect words like "hey y'all" and "greetings commissar" and "listen up, motherfuckers."

Last one. I also like "'Sup, bitches!".. wink

Joey OD
May 12 2010 03:06
Quote:
probably one of the most pressing issues of our day

tee hee, sisters, brothers, comrades, muckers, mates, friends, if I meet you for the second time and forget your name I will adress you as comrade or sister/brother. They have their use.

prec@riat's picture
prec@riat
May 12 2010 04:23

I've heard "co" given as someone's preferred pronoun during a meeting.

Tarwater's picture
Tarwater
May 12 2010 04:48

You clearly hang around the wrong type of people...

Joey OD
May 30 2010 22:34

so for addressing a gathering of people who would be miffed by the term "comrade": hey you guys, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, people, fellow slaves etc and any of the above mentioned, use yer imagination.
for one individual let's have the guts to ask them their name cos if we need to "smash the state" it's a bit worrying if we're too polite/scared to ask a name.
But for those who I know share my world views to a degree and won't mind my using an old trade unionist title I will sometimes use the word comrade because it lets them know we're on the same side/page, reassures them in a quick n easy way.
Historically anarchists often used sister or brother whereas Marxists used comrade. But I recall a French anarchist comrade objected to the terms sister and brother. Maybe she didnt wish to be accused of incest! The Black Power movement in the states revitalised the use (began i suppose by the early Christians). I like these terms myself as they are at least egalitarian.
Obviously in the former soviet block 'comrade' was used and will be received cynically. Know yer audience.

playinghob's picture
playinghob
May 31 2010 20:19

Just to chip in with my tenpenneth worth. Nothing wrong with comrade - very accurate, appropriate and traditional. It describes and identifies a group of people gathered who share similar/same aspirations/aims/goals. In my case, (and probably most people here, I would have thought) those who belong to the class struggle, internationalist and revolutionary communist milieu which generally encompasses libertarian/left/council/anarchist communists. Naturally, when I attend my local knitting circle i dont use the term - but who would address the knitting circle collectively anyway - apart from 'hi everyone'; or, 'hello good evening and welcome'. I think it also signifies a very special bond between the like-minded. A comrade is a comrade!

I remember a similar thread some time ago on the use of bourgeois/bourgeoisie And yes, I use this term frequently in both everyday and political language.

Mind you, in both cases my view might be an age thing and it's just not fashionable for younger Comrades to use such language anymore?

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Jun 13 2010 19:31

I don't like the fact that the days of the week are named after Roman gods, but that's life. We move on.

Deezer
Jun 13 2010 21:18

The Moon ("Moon's Day", from the Anglo-Saxon moon-god Mano or the skandinavian god Mani), Tyr (Tuesday - after a Skandinavian god of war), Odin (Wednesday), Thor (Thursday), Freya or Frigg (Friday - after another Skandinavian/nodic goddess), and yes, Saturday is named after another Skandinavian/nordic god of agriculture.

So now that I have demonstrated that the gonzokid is wrong we can move on wink

B_Reasonable
Jun 14 2010 00:36

Sunday, Moonday, <<4 Norse/German gods>>, Saturnday. Whilst Saturn was the Roman god (of agriculture) the Sun and Moon weren't specific gods so it seems more likely that the days were named after the heavenly bodies. For comparison, Welsh (which is derived from the majority British language before mass immigration from Germany and Scandinavian) still names the days as: Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn.

Boris Badenov
Jun 14 2010 01:08

In romance languages weekdays are named after Roman gods, but even the Roman gods have a better reputation than leftist lingo.

888's picture
Jun 14 2010 06:18

Saturday is named after the Baron Samedi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week-day_names

Deezer
Jun 17 2010 19:01
Vlad336 wrote:
In romance languages weekdays are named after Roman gods, but even the Roman gods have a better reputation than leftist lingo.

Neither I nor the gonzokid speak romance languages though. Or welsh!