Yugoslavia internationalist class struggles 1995-2000

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
martinh
Mar 10 2006 12:43
Yugoslavia internationalist class struggles 1995-2000

Hi,

The KSL received the message below. I have contacted them, told them about the libcom library and they have asked me to spread this further, which I'm now doing. I've broken the email address to stop spammers.

Regards,

Martin

Subject: class conflicts in Yugoslavia

Date: Tue, March 7, 2006 2:18 pm

To: shmintaka [at] yahoo [d0t] com

Hello,

we have a request to you: please send us, if you

can, materials about Yugoslavian internationalist class

struggles (strikes, manifestations, uprisings and so

on) between 1995 and 2000. It would be very urgent

because we prepare a text for publication, and for

this text we need the information.

Thanks.

Barricade Collective

kiwi hirsuta's picture
kiwi hirsuta
Mar 11 2006 13:35

I thought Yugoslavia ceased to be in 92?

bastarx
Mar 19 2006 05:52
kiwi hirsuta wrote:
I thought Yugoslavia ceased to be in 92?

No, after the other four republics left the federation in 91-2 Serbia and Montenegro were still left as Yugoslavia. This is sometimes known as the 3rd Yugoslavia. No. 1 was 1919-41 and No. 2 was 1945-91. The name was changed to 'Serbia and Montenegro' in 2002 I think. Montenegro may go it's own way this year. They already have Euros as their official currency whereas Serbia still has the dinar although Euros are widely accepted.

As to class struggles from 95-00 I don't know of much in that period. There was a big movement against Milosevic in the winter of 96-7 but it was middle-class and studenty. I'm not absolutely certain of this but around that time I think the big arms factory in Kragujevac in central Serbia was occupied by the workers during a strike. When the cops showed up threatening to evict them some worker or perhaps union hack supposedly said 'do you think we make fucking yoghurt in there?'

I was in Serbia in the summer and autumn of 04 and there were a fair few strikes. The most important was pprobably the one by a bunch of copper miners who blockaded the main highway that leads south to Greece a couple of weeks before the Olympics. But this movement was to save the mine with new investment and as such the local mayor and probably the local cops were onside with it.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 19 2006 17:38
Peter wrote:
Hope that helps.

Pete

Interesting stuff - welcome to the boards pete!

bastarx
Mar 20 2006 03:29
John. wrote:
Peter wrote:
Hope that helps.

Pete

Interesting stuff - welcome to the boards pete!

Thanks John, I've actually been reading them for several months but it was only yesterday that I was moved to make some comments of my own.

Pete